Friday, October 11, 2013

Canned Pizza or Pasta Sauce

This sauce is fantastic!  I came across it when Louise's Country Closet posted it on facebook.  She posted it as a pizza sauce, but after making it I think it would also make a great pasta sauce!  Enjoy!
Ingredients:
-25 to 28 tomatoes, skins removed
-2 large onions, chopped
-4 garlic cloves, minced
-3 tbsp olive oil
-2 tbsp lemon juice
-1 tsp pepper
-1 tbsp sugar
-2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
-1 tbsp dried oregano
-1 tbsp dried basil
-1 tsp dried rosemary
-1 tsp celery seed
-2 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp summer savory, optional
Process:
1. Roughly chop tomatoes.  
TIP:  I always put my cutting board on a kitchen towel when I'm cutting something "messy" like fresh juicy garden tomatoes.
I also took time to save some of my heirloom seeds for next year... See how to save your seeds here!

2. Combine onion and garlic in oil in a large pan {I used my Dutch oven}, cook until onion and garlic are transparent and fragrant.
3. Add tomatoes and lemon juice to pan, simmer over medium heat.
4. Add pepper, sugar, parsley, oregano, basil, rosemary, celery seed, salt and savory {if using}.
5. Cook, stirring occasionally until the mixture has reduce by about 1/3.  This will take 1 1/2 to 2 hours.  It actually took about 4 hours for me, because my pot was so full and I didn't want it to boil over more that it already did.
To can sauce:
1. Ladle hot sauce into hot jars, clean rims, top with a new lid and tighten a rim to finger tightness.
2. Place jars in a boiling water bath and process covered for 25 minutes.
3. Remove lid and allow jars to sit in canner for 5 more minutes.
4. Remove jars to a wire rack or clean towel to cool and seal.

Enjoy!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...