Friday, June 7, 2013

Fresh Herb and Cheese Bread

Good morning!  Here's another great one!  I found and adapted this recipe from Sugar & Everything Nice.  Its a great quick bread, that uses all fresh herbs!  Enjoy!

Ingredients:
-2 1/4 cups flour
-2 tsp baking powder
-1/2 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp dry mustard
-5 tbsp grated parmesan
-5 tbsp grated cheddar {I used extra sharp}
-1/2 cup green olives, sliced, optional {I left them out because everyone else in my family aren't fans of olives}
-8 pieces sun-dried tomatoes, coarsely chopped {about 1/4 cup}
-1 tsp ground black pepper
-1/8 cup green onion, sliced
-1/8 cup fresh parsley, chopped
-2 tsp fresh thyme leaves or 1 tsp dried
-2 eggs
-2 1/2 tbsp olive oil
-1 1/4 cup buttermilk {I substituted: 1 tbsp white vinegar or lemon juice plus enough milk to make 1 1/4 cup; let  sit about 10 minutes before mixing in}
-extra thyme leaves and coarse salt {any salt will do} for topping, optional  {I used my Black Diamond and Molokai Red finishing salts; they are coarse and great colors.  I ordered them from The Meadow in Portland, OR; they also have a shop in New York, NY}
Process:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  
* Mix together milk and vinegar/lemon juice if substituting.
2. Spray a loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray.  Set aside.
3. Combine salt, pepper, mustard, parmesan, cheddar, baking powder and baking soda in a mixing bowl.
4. Add in the green onion, parsley, thyme and sun-dried tomatoes.
5. Add eggs and olive oil.
6. Add in "buttermilk" and flour.  Mix well.
7. Spread mixture into prepared loaf pan.
8. Top loaf with coarse salt and thyme.  {I put all the thyme in the recipe and didn't feel like going out to get more.}
9. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour.  {If the top starts to burn you can cover it lightly with foil; I didn't have this problem.}
10. Remove from oven and allow to sit in pan for 5 minutes.
11. Remove loaf from pan to a wire rack.  Allow to cool slightly before serving.  It is great warm and especially great with butter!
12. Slice and enjoy!
*  The next morning I enjoyed a couple slices in an egg and cheese toasted sandwich!  Great breakfast!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...