Thursday, May 30, 2013

Steel Cut Oat Bread

This is a fantastic recipe!  I found it from Bob's Red Mill.  

The original recipe says it makes 16 servings, although I've been using this recipe to make two loaves of bread which I think equals more than 16 servings.

This is very satisfying and you can substitute any kind of flour that you like.  I made it with spelt flour last time I made it!  I also as usual always make the dough for this recipe using my bread maker   Yum!
I used Trader Joe's Quick Cook Steel Cut Oats.
Ingredients:
-2 1/2 cups milk
-1/4 cup brown sugar
-1/4 cup butter
-4 1/2 to 4 3/4 cups flour {use what you like or what you have, I've done this with white flour and with spelt flour... great with both!}
-2 cups quick cooking steel cut oats
-2 tsp salt
-4 1/2 tsp yeast {2 packets}

Process:
1. Place butter and milk in a microwavable dish or a saucepan and heat until just warm to touch, about 110 degrees {no hotter or you could kill the yeast and your dough won't rise}.
2. Place brown sugar and salt into bread maker pan.
3. Pour warmed milk and butter mixture over sugar and salt.
4. Add steel cut oats.
5. Add flour.
6. Top with yeast.
7. Place pan into bread maker and set to the dough setting.
Yes, I know my bread maker looks like its covered in flour!
I use it A LOT and its just too much to clean it every time.
8. Let dough cycle run through.
9. Once cycle is finished, remove dough from bread maker.
10. Place dough on a floured or oiled surface, cut into two equal pieces and form into loaves.  {I always do an oiled surface; I think it keeps my bread more moist, rather than adding the dry flour.}
11. Place loaves into two oiled bread pans.
12.  Allow loaves to rise for 30 to 45 minutes.  {I like to place my bread pans on the oven, so when I start to preheat the oven the warmth helps the dough rise.}
13. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
14. Bake for 30-40 minutes until bread is golden.
15. Enjoy!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...