Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Overnight Apple French Toast

This recipe is really great!  And I'm sure you could make this in the crock-pot and set it on low for 6-8 hours!

My son completely loved it, he ate most of it!
Sorry, I'm not sure where I found the original recipe; but I also made several changes.  Enjoy!

Ingredients for French Toast:
-3/4 cup brown sugar
-6 tbsp butter
-3 to 4 large apples, peeled and sliced {I used Granny Smith}
-3 eggs  {I used 5 eggs}
-1 cup milk {I used 1 1/2 cups milk}
-1 tsp vanilla {I used 2 tsp}
-{I also added 1 tsp cinnamon}
-9 slices day-old French bread, about 3/4 inch thick {I used Hawaiian Bread, you could really use any bread; if using a soft sandwich bread just use more}

Ingredients for Apple Syrup:  {I doubled the syrup recipe}
-1/2 cup applesauce
-1/4 tsp cinnamon
-pinch ground cloves
-sprinkle of nutmeg, optional
-5 oz. jar apple or crabapple jelly {I used Apricot Pineapple Preserves; because I had about 1/2 a jar in the fridge}
Process:
1. In a saucepan, melt butter and sugar together for about 4 minutes; stir constantly until slightly thick.
 2. Pour into a greased 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
3. Top with apple slices.
4. In a medium mixing bowl, beat together eggs, milk, cinnamon and vanilla.
5. Dip bread in egg mixture and place on top of apple slices OR like I did... place the bread slices on top of the apple slices and then pour the egg mixture evenly over the top of the bread.
6. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
7. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Remove french toast from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Sprinkle with a little extra cinnamon, if desired.
8. Bake uncovered for about 40-45 minutes.
9. Meanwhile, prepare syrup by cooking applesauce, cinnamon, jelly, cloves and nutmeg in a saucepan until hot.
10. Serve over french toast.  Enjoy!
 
*You could also have maple syrup and/or whipped cream on the side, but we liked it as it was with the apple syrup!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...