Thursday, May 23, 2013

Mom's Three Bean Hotdish

Sorry I haven't posted for a while!  Its been really busy around here with the ups and downs in the weather, the raising of chicks and baby kittens and getting the garden started.  

Plus, I can't help myself, I've begun my summer canning!  Yesterday it was Rhubarb Triple  Berry Pie Filling!  Today it was Rhubarb Sauce {like applesauce, but with rhubarb!}. 

Okay so its time to share a recipe with you!  This is my Mom's recipe, one of those recipes you just love because your mom made it?  Maybe, but this is so super tasty, very easy and very hardy!

You can make this ahead of time and just pop it in the oven, crockpot or microwave when you are ready for it!  Enjoy!
Ingredients:
-1 can pork and beans {I use the large can, you can use the normal size}
-1 can kidney beans {I use white kidney beans, I just don't care for the red ones}
-1 can butter beans
-1 lb. ground beef {I'm sure you could use ground turkey, chicken or pork}
-1/2 lb. bacon
-1/2 cup onion, chopped {you could use minced dried onion if your in a hurry}
-1/2 cup ketchup
-1 tsp dry mustard
-2 tsp white vinegar
-3/4 cup brown sugar

Process:
1. Cook bacon to your desired doneness {I like it crispy}.  Drain on paper towel.  Once cooled, coarsely chop.  {You could do this days in advance and just refrigerate the bacon until ready to use.}
2. Brown ground beef, until cooked thoroughly.
3. Drain ground beef in a colander and rinse with hot water to remove extra fat.
4. Drain kidney and butter beans in colander and rinse well.
5. In a large bowl or in crockpot combine onion, beef and rinsed beans.
6. Add pork and beans.
7. Top with bacon.
8. For the sauce, add the ketchup, dry mustard, vinegar and brown sugar.
9. Stir well to thoroughly combine.
10. Place in a baking dish and bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour. 
OR
Place in crockpot and cook on low all day or on high for 3-4 hours.
11. Enjoy!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...