Thursday, November 22, 2012

Crusty French Bread

This french bread is great!  Its also very versatile  I've used this recipe to make regular loaves in a loaf pan, bread sticks, rolls, burger buns and the one shown here I used for garlic bread.  {I used this Garlic Butter to make this loaf into Garlic Bread.}

I found the original recipe from allrecipes; I make it with my bread-maker  but if you want to make it manually you can find the instructions for doing that at the allrecipes link.
Ingredients:
-1 cup warm water {just from the tap is fine, not hot...hot can kill the yeast}
-2 tbsp vegetable or olive oil
-2 tbsp sugar
-1 1/2 tsp salt
-3 cups flour {you could use 1 cup wheat and 2 cups white}
-2 1/4 tsp yeast
-1 egg
-1 tsp water
Process:
1. Add 1 cup water, sugar and salt to bread-maker pan.
2. Add oil.
3. Top with flour.
4. Lastly add yeast.
5. Start mixture on the dough setting and let the cycle run through.
6. Remove the dough from the bread-maker pan.
7. Form the dough into the shape of loaf {rolls or bread sticks} you want.  Place on a lined or oiled baking sheet.
8. Cut diagonal lines, about 1 inch deep across loaf; if desired.  {I just like the way it looks!}
9. Cover loaf with a clean, dry kitchen towel and let rise.
This is after rising for about 30 minutes...
10. This is what it will look like after letting it rise for a total of 60-90 minutes.
11. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
12. Mix together egg and 1 tsp water.
13. Brush egg mixture over loaf. {This isn't necessary, but it gives it that beautiful shiny golden look.}
14. Bake 25-30 minutes.
15. Remove from oven.
16. Let cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.
17. Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...