Friday, October 19, 2012

Crescent Rolls (Pillsbury Crescent Roll Substitute)

These are so good and if you use a bread-maker they are also so easy!

The website I found this recipe on, said they are comparable to Pillsbury crescent rolls; and that this recipe yields the equivalent of 2 (8 oz.) tubes.

In my opinion the taste and texture of these is different than the Pillsbury rolls, although this recipe is definitely a keeper!  

One night we (the kids, the hubby and I) ate 12 rolls (half a batch) for supper with cheese, apples and grapes!  They're good!

Ingredients:
-3/4 cup warm water
-2 eggs
-1/4 cup shortening, in pieces {I used butter flavored}
-1/3 cup butter, cubed
-1/2 cup sugar
-1 tsp salt
-4 cups flour
-4 1/2 tsp yeast

Process:
1. Add the ingredients to breadmaker pan in the order listed.
2. Set the breadmaker to the dough setting and allow it to run the cycle.
3. Remove dough from pan (you can refrigerate the dough at this point and make it later when needed; I think I had this batch in the fridge for about 2 days).
4. Divide the dough into two pieces.
I used this half to make a pizza crust
for a recipe that called for a Pillsbury crescent roll crust.
To make the Crescent Rolls:
5. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
6. On an oiled surface, roll the dough into a 12 inch circle.  Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough into 12 wedges.
7. Roll the wedges from the wide end to the narrow end and place on an oiled baking sheet.
 8. Bake rolls for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
 9. Remove rolls and enjoy warm!
Print Friendly and PDF

6 comments:

  1. These look delicious - thanks for sharing the recipe! Have you ever tried to substitute this dough for the canned dough in recipes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look delicious - thanks for sharing the recipe! Have you ever tried substituting this dough for the canned dough in recipes?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I have tried this for recipes that call for the canned dough. Its great, much more hardy and easier to work with. Hope you try and enjoy!

      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
    2. You've inspired me to make these tonight with my Stuffed Pepper Soup! :D

      Delete
  3. Thanks I will try them

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...