These are delicious! You make the batter at least 40 minutes before using.
I usually make the batter the night before and let it sit in the refrigerator until using. And the batter keeps great in the refrigerator if you want to make fresh waffles every morning! You could also make the waffles ahead of time and toast in the toaster just like store-bought frozen waffles.
They are great served with fresh fruit and whipped cream, flavored syrups or just plain syrup... and their really good plain or with cinnamon honey butter on them!
You could also mix in chocolate chips or fruit just before cooking. Enjoy and let your creative mind go!
I found the original recipe here.
I changed somethings to make them even tastier! The cornstarch adds crunch, the extra sugar helps the egg whites form peaks and the baking powder eliminates the need to buy self-rising flour. Enjoy!
-2 eggs, divided
-7 tbsp sugar, divided
-2 tsp vanilla
-1/2 cup butter, melted
-1 tsp salt
-2 3/4 cups flour
-2 3/4 tsp baking powder
-2 cups warm milk
-1/4 cup cornstarch
1. In a large bowl beat egg yolks, vanilla and 5 tbsp sugar.
2. Add butter and salt, mix well.
3. Mix in flour, baking powder, warm milk and cornstarch.
4. In a separate bowl beat egg whites (with clean beater or your egg whites won't from peaks) with remaining 2 tbsp sugar until soft peaks form.
5. Fold egg whites into batter.
6. Let batter stand for 40 minutes at room temperature, if using right away OR cover and refrigerate until using.
7. Heat waffle iron and cook waffles until golden brown and fluffy.