Someone posted this recipe on facebook, it was one of their grandmothers recipes; so of course I had to try it! And it is an awesome recipe!
Ingredients for Cake:
-1 1/4 cups boiling water
-1 cup oatmeal
-1/2 cup shortening or butter, softened
-1 cup sugar
-1 tsp baking soda
-3/4 tsp cinnamon
-1 cup brown sugar
-1 tsp vanilla
-1 1/2 cups flour
-1/2 tsp salt
-1/4 tsp nutmeg
Ingredients for Caramel Frosting or Glaze:
-1 1/2 cups brown sugar
-2 tbsp butter
-3/4 cup milk or cream
-1/2 tsp vanilla
1. Pour boiling water over oatmeal, cover with a towel or a plate and allow to sit for about 20 minutes.2. In the meantime, beat shortening/butter with sugar until fluffy.
3. Add vanilla, eggs and baking soda, beat well.
4. Beat in salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
5. Beat in brown sugar.
6. Add soaked oatmeal and flour, mix well.
7. Pour batter into two 8 or 9 inch greased cake pans or one 9 x 13 greased baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 55-60 minutes.
8. Cool at least 30 minutes or completely before cutting.
Prepare Frosting or Glaze:
1. Cook sugar and milk/cream until it reaches 235 degrees.
2. Add vanilla and butter.
*for glaze: serve at this point
1. Cool completely and beat until it reaches spreading consistency.