Monday, February 10, 2014

Crockpot Refried Black Beans

I've tried a few different homemade refried bean recipes; but until now I never really thought any of them were "keepers".  This one is really tasty, super cheap and easy since its cooked in the crockpot.  

I found the recipe from Budget Bytes.  Budget Bytes figured that the entire recipe only costs about $2.75, which is about 31 cents per serving.  I probably spent even less since I only buy dried beans when they are on sale and the jalapeno and the onion were from my garden.

I made a few changes for my likes and what I had on hand: I substituted black beans for pinto beans, used a small jalapeno instead of medium and 3/4 tsp minced dried garlic in place of the minced fresh garlic.

Ingredients:
-1 pound dried black beans
-1 medium onion, diced
-1 medium or small jalapeno, seeds removed and diced small  {you could probably substitute about 1 tbsp diced canned jalapeno too}
-3/4 tsp dried minced garlic or 1 tbsp minced fresh garlic
-1 tsp cumin
-1/2 tsp chili powder
-1/2 tsp black pepper
-6 cups water
-2 tsp salt

Process:
1. Rinse beans with cold water.  Place beans in crockpot.
2. Add onion, jalapeno, garlic, cumin, chili powder and black pepper {not the salt; it can make bean tough while cooking}.
3. Pour water over beans.
4. Stir, cover and cook on high for 2-3 hours or on low for 4-5 hours or as long as 8 hours {they won't over cook or dry out as long as they are on low and the lid stays on}.
5. You can strain of any extra water {could be about 1 cup, but save, I didn't bother straining any water; they thicken up as they sit}; mash beans if you like and add bean water to get the constancy you like.
6. Add salt before serving; I forgot.  Enjoy!  

I made these when we had tacos.  Also great with tortilla chips!
They would be a great side to any Mexican-style meal.  I enjoyed the leftovers with my morning eggs.  They'd also be awesome for a taco dip.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...