Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Apple Pie Bread & Apple Pie Spice

This recipe sounded really good, but yet I am usually skeptical of recipes that are supposed to taste like something else.  Although, this Apple Pie Bread is super awesome and is very reminiscent of apple pie!

I found the recipe for the bread from My Baking Addiction and that is also where I found the recipe for the Apple Pie Spice; enjoy!
Ingredients for Bread:
-1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
-1/2 cup sugar
-1/2 cup brown sugar
-1/4 cup buttermilk {I never have buttermilk on hand, nor do I want to buy it just to use 1/4 cup... so I substituted 1 tsp white vinegar plus enough milk to equal 1/4 cup}
-2 tsp baking powder
-2 eggs
-1 1/2 tsp vanilla
-2 cups flour
-2 tsp apple pie spice {recipe below}
-1/2 tsp salt
-2 cups peeled, shredded apple (about 4 medium or 2 large apples)
-3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts, optional
-1/2 cup dried cranberries, optional
{I didn't use the nuts or cranberries, because I didn't know if the kids and the hubby would like them.}

Streusel Topping Ingredients:
-1/4 cup brown sugar
-3 tbsp flour
-1/4 tsp apple pie spice {recipe below}
-2 tbsp butter
-1/3 cup chopped pecans

Note:
*I substituted a simple cinnamon sugar mix for the topping.

Ingredients for Homemade Apple Pie Spice:
-4 tbsp ground cinnamon
-1 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
-1/2 tsp ground allspice
-1 tsp ground ginger
-1 1/2 tsp ground cardamom

Process for Apple Pie Spice:
1. Combine all spices in a small bowl and mix well.  Store in an airtight container.
Notes for Apple Pie Spice:
*The measurements for this spice don't need to be exact; if you like more or less of one spice, feel free to make it the way you like it.
* If you are using freshly grated nutmeg; decrease the amount by half, since freshly grated is stronger than ground jarred nutmeg.

Process for Bread:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease a loaf pan and set aside.
2. Combine butter, sugars, buttermilk {or vinegar/milk mixture}, baking powder, eggs, vanilla, salt and apple pie spice.  
3. Add flour and mix well until combined.
4. Add apples {nuts and dried cranberries if using}; mix well.
5. Spread batter into prepared loaf pan.
6. Sprinkle with struesel topping or as I did a simple cinnamon sugar mixture.
I also added some coarse raw sugar for an extra crunchy topping.
7. Bake bread for about 65 minutes, until a toothpick or skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
8. Cool in pan on a wire rack for about 20 minutes or longer. 
{The original recipe says 10 minutes, but when I removed mine after 10 minutes some of the bottom stuck to the pan even though I thoroughly greased the pan.}
 9. Remove from pan and cool completely on wire rack.
 10. Wrap and store over-night before slicing.  Enjoy!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...