Monday, July 22, 2013

Chocolate Marvel Cake

This is a favorite with the family!  I love that there is no oil or butter in the cake itself, just in the frosting.  The cake is moist and delicious!  Its definitely a keeper and I have been making it for birthdays and just because for about 4 years now!  Enjoy!

I found this original recipe from AllRecipes.

Ingredients for Cake:
-1 cup strong brewed coffee
-1 cup milk
-8 ounces pureed baby food prunes  {or you could put about 1/2 cup pitted prunes in a liquid measuring cup and pour hot water over them to the 1/2 cup line, allow to sit for 20 minutes to soften, then puree}
-4 egg whites {last time I made this I used 2 whole eggs instead of 4 egg whites, I think it turned out the same}
-2 tsp vanilla extract
-2 cups flour
-2 cups sugar
-3/4 cup cocoa powder
-2 tsp baking soda
-1 tsp baking powder
-1/4 tsp salt

Ingredients for Chocolate Frosting:  
{I usually double the frosting recipe for a layer cake; although I end up with extra, maybe 1 1/2 hatch would be better?}
-6 tbsp butter, softened
-2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
-1/4 cup cocoa powder
-2 tbsp milk
-2 tbsp strong brewed coffee
-1 tsp vanilla extract

Process:
1. Combine coffee, milk, prunes, egg whites and vanilla in a large bowl.
2. Add flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda, baking powder and salt to the liquid mixture.
3. Beat until smooth, batter will be thin.
4. Pour into two oiled 9 inch spring form pans or one 9 x 13 inch baking dish.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 35 to 45 minutes or until the cake pulls away from the sides of the pan.
6. Cool for 10 minutes in pans, then remove to wire racks to cool completely.
7. For frosting, beat all ingredients until smooth and creamy.  Frost cake as you normally would.
8. Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...