Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Dandelion Jelly

I have wanted to try this recipe for a while now; I finally did!  I found the recipe from Yummy Supper.

This is really tasty, it tastes like local honey!  Its fantastic on toast with butter!  Enjoy!

Note: Pick dandelions that you know have not been sprayed with any pesticides or herbicides.  {I also avoided any area where my animals frequented.}

Ingredients:
-365 yellow dandelion flowers {about 5 cups very loosely packed dandelion petals}
-6 cups water
-6 cups sugar
-juice of 1 lemon {about 3 tbsp}
- pectin {I used one packet of liquid pectin}

Process:
1. Pick the flowers, I counted just to get an idea of what petals from 365 would look like for next time  {about 5 cups loosely packed petals}.
2. Wash, if needed and thoroughly dry.
3. Use a kitchen shears or other clean scissors to snip the flowers petals away from the green part of the flower {the green part can be bitter}.
I cut the petals off and let them fall into an 8 x 8 baking dish.
This picture shows what the petals from 100 flowers looked like.
This is what 365 dandelion stems look like...
4. Add petals to a heavy bottom pot, I used my Dutch oven.
5. Add water and lemon juice to petals.  At first the petals will seem like they're just going to float on top.
6. Bring the mixture to a boil.  Remove from heat and let cool.
7. Once cooled, transfer petal and water mixture to a bowl or plastic container.
8. Cover and refrigerate the mixture overnight.
9. The next day, return the mixture to the heavy pot.
10. Add sugar and stir.
11. Bring mixture to a vigorous boil and continue to boil for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally for incorporate sugar.
12. Remove from heat, let liquid cool and strain out petals.  {I spooned the mixture into a small holed colander with a larger bowl underneath.}
I let the mixture drain over the bowl for about 10 minutes.
I used 2 wooden spoons to stop the colander from sitting in the liquid.
This is what the petals looked like after they dripped for about 10 minutes.
I used the back of one of my favorite spoons
to squeeze out the excess  juices from the petals.
This is what the leftover petals look like when you're done.
Discard them.
13. Return the strained mixture to the heavy bottomed pot.
14. Add pectin and bring mixture to a boil for another 10 minutes, until mixture reaches your desired consistency.
Canning Jelly...
15. Laddle hot mixture into prepared, hot canning jars. 
16. Wipe jar's mouth clean, top with a warmed canning lid and screw on a ring to finger-tightness.
17. Return jar to water-bath.
18. Once canning water has reached 210 degrees, start timing of 20 minutes.
19. Remove jars from canner, place on a wire rack or a clean kitchen towel on the counter to cool completely.
20. Enjoy!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...