Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Canned Rhubarb Triple Berry Pie Filling

The chickens have finally began roosting at night; until two nights ago they were sleeping in a group on the floor.  They are growing and I guess they just decided it was time to roost at night.

Oh and the weirdest thing happened this morning... 
I could hear our one guinea in the woods "squocking" up a storm {and it never goes in the woods}.  So, I went back there and it just happens it has found another guinea!?!  So odd, I don't know where it came from or how long its been in our woods but it followed me when I came back by the house, then it flew up and I haven't seen it since.  Our lone guinea is still here hanging around with the chickens.

Anyway... this is a fantastic pie filling recipe!  I just happened to find it when I was looking for rhubarb canning recipes; sorry I have looked and looked for the original recipe and can not find the source!  Although I just kind of used it as a guide and changed it for what I had and wanted to use.

Ingredients:
-8 cups water
-4 1/2 cups sugar
-1 cup cornstarch
-7 quarts fruit {I used 5 quarts of chopped rhubarb and a 3 lb. bag of frozen triple berry blend with blueberries, raspberries and blackberries}

* You really could use this recipe for any fruit pie filling, try any of the fruits that are in season!
Process:
1. Prepare your canning materials.
2. Combine water, sugar and cornstarch in a large heavy duty pan {I used my Dutch oven}.  
Also, be sure to mix in the cornstarch when the mixture is cold, otherwise it can become clumpy {I cooked the mixture to dissolve the sugar and then added the cornstarch, hence the clumps in the below picture.  The did eventually break down throughout the cooking process.}
3. Stir in all of the rhubarb.
4. Add the berries and cook until the mixture comes to a slight boil or simmer.
5. Ladle the hot pie filling into hot jars, leaving 1 inch of headspace.
6. Wipe the rim. 
7. Place a warm lid on top.
8. Screw on the ring until finger tight {not too tight}.
9. Return the jar to canner.
Your canning water should be at least 210 degrees.
Make sure you bring the water to a full boil
before you start timing the processing time.
10. Repeat with remaining mixture.  I ended up with 4 quart jars and 2 pint jars {and a little less than a pint in the fridge}.
11. Bring temperature up to 210 degrees and process in water bath for 25 minutes.
12. Remove jars from canner to a wire rack or kitchen towel on the counter to cool completely.
13. Check to make sure the lids have sealed after 24 hours.  If you have any jars that did not seal, refrigerate and use within 1 week.
14.  Enjoy this recipe with any pie, crisp or cake recipe that calls for pie filling!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...