Monday, November 19, 2012

Everything Stuffing

This stuffing is awesome!  You can make it a day in advance and just heat it in the slow cooker the day of your holiday celebration.

I'm not sure where I found this recipe but it is definitely a keeper!  Enjoy!

Ingredients:
-1/2 lb. Italian sausage
-4 cups seasoned stuffing cubes
-1 1/2 cups crushed cornbread stuffing {I have made my own cornbread and made it into cubed "croutons" for this recipe when I couldn't find cornbread stuffing; it worked great.}
-1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans or chestnuts
-1/2 cup minced fresh parsley
-1 tbsp minced fresh sage or 1 tsp rubbed sage
-1/8 tsp salt
-1/8 tsp pepper
-1 3/4 cups sliced baby portobello mushrooms
-5 oz. sliced fresh shiitake mushrooms {I've tried dried and fresh; I liked the dried just a bit more because even though I rehydrated them they still had a more concentrated flavor.}
-1 large onion, chopped
-1 medium apple, peeled, cored and chopped {I used Granny Smith}
-1 celery rib, chopped
-3 tbsp butter
-14 1/2 oz. can chicken broth

Process:
1. In a large skillet, cook sausage until browned, drain and place in a large bowl.
2. Stir in stuffing cubes, cornbread, pecans, parsley, sage, salt and pepper.
3. In the same skillet, saute mushrooms, onion, apple and celery in butter until tender.
4. Stir into the stuffing mixture.
5. Add enough broth to reach desired moistness.
6. Transfer to crock-pot dish.
7. Cover and cook on low for about 3 hours; stir once about halfway through cooking time. 
* You can add more broth if you want the stuffing more moist.


Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...