Friday, November 2, 2012

Broccoli Slaw

This recipe is always a hit!  I got the recipe from my mom and its quick and easy to put together, and super delicious!

Sometimes when I'm in a hurry, I just add a little bit more sugar (1-2 tbsp) and skip the part where you caramelize the almonds.  

You could also caramelize the almonds and mix the dressing a day or two in advance if you like, just store them in an airtight container until using.

I usually don't add the sunflower seeds because my husband isn't a fan of them, but they are great in this salad.

Salad Ingredients:
-1 pkg. oriental or chicken Ramen noodles, crushed (do not cook)
-1 pkg. broccoli coleslaw
-1 onion, chopped {or 4-6 green onions for a milder flavor}

Dressing Ingredients:
-1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
-1 tbsp sugar
-seasoning packet from Ramen

Topping Ingredients:
-4 tbsp sugar
-1/2 cup slivered, sliced or chopped almonds {sometimes I'll use barbecued almonds, for a change; its always a hit with the hubby!}
-3/4 cup sunflower seeds

Process:
1. Mix all of the dressing ingredients.
2. I like to add the onion to the dressing mix to start the flavor distribution. {Or you can add it when you mix the slaw.}
3. For the caramelized almonds, saute almonds with 4 tbsp sugar until lightly browned and the sugar coats the almonds.  Spread on aluminum foil to cool completely.
4. I like to chop the broccoli slaw just a bit more {I find that most times there are several pieces that are really long and tougher to eat without making a mess}.  I just put my kitchen shears into the bag and cut until the slaw is the texture that I like.
5. Pour the slaw into a bowl.
6. Add the dressing and Ramen noodles to the slaw, toss to coat.
I like to serve this slaw with a pasta spoon; its just easier to scoop.
7. Toss in caramelized almonds and/or sunflower seeds and serve.
8. Enjoy!  

We like this slaw best about 10 minutes after mixing all of the ingredients together.  


The leftovers (if you have any) do get a little "soggy", but are still really great the next day!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...