Thursday, October 4, 2012

Salty Chocolate Scotcheroos

Fantastic!  The salty sweet combination is really great in this recipe and I think next time I'm going to use more of the salt.

I adapted this recipe from here.

Ingredients:
-1 cup sugar
-1 cup corn syrup
-1/2 cup peanut butter
-1/2 cup Nutella (chocolate-hazelnut spread)  {You could also use 1 cup total peanut butter if you don't have or want to use the Nutella}
-6 cups rice crispies
-1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
-1 cup butterscotch chips
-fleur de sel or flaky sea salt, optional but highly recommended {You could probably use a course sea salt or any other salt too, but the flaky salt is really enjoyable}

Process:
1. Lightly grease a 9 x 13 inch pan.
2. In a large pan combine sugar and corn syrup and bring to a full boil over medium heat.
 3. Remove from heat and add the peanut butter and Nutella to the sugar mixture {I used a combination of Nutella, natural smooth peanut butter and crunchy peanut butter}; stir until smooth and well blended.
4. Add the rice crispies to the peanut butter mixture.
 5. Stir until the crispies are well coated.
 6. Press the mixture into the greased pan {press to make the top smooth and even}.
 7. Measure chocolate and butterscotch chips into a microwave save bowl.
 8. Microwave chips until they begin to melt, stir well.
 9. Microwave chips a little longer until smooth.  Stir well until well blended.
 10. Pour the chip mixture over the crispies.
 11. Spread the chip mixture over the crispies evenly.  {I like to leave a little space between the topping and the side of the pan so you can see the crispies underneath.}
 12. Sprinkle with salt (if using).  I really think this is what makes these so great!
13. Allow bars to cool completely.  Enjoy!

This is the salt that I used; I ordered it from The Meadow.  It is one of six jars in a set of finishing salts and I think you can also order Fleur de Sel by itself.
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...