Monday, October 8, 2012

Foolproof Pie Dough

This recipe is from America's Test Kitchen/Cook's Country.

It uses part water and part vodka in the making of the crust, so what happens is that you have a very easy to work with crust and when you bake it the vodka evaporates leaving you will a fantastic flaky crust!  Awesome!

Sorry, I don't have pictures of this one, next time I make it I'll take pictures and share.

It does take some time, but really is the best crust recipe I have ever tried.  You can use a food processor to combine the crust, so mixing it up can be pretty quick.  My food processor quit on me so I have used my standing mixer to make this and that still works really good.

Plus, it makes a double crust so if you are making a single/only bottom crust you can put the other half in the freezer until you need another single crust; it freezes very well.

Ingredients:
-2 1/2 cups flour
-1 tsp salt
-2 tbsp sugar
-12 tbsp cold butter (1 1/2 sticks), cut into 1/4 inch slices
-1/2 cup shortening
-1/4 cup vodka
-1/4 cup water

Process:
1. Process 1 1/2 cup flour, salt and sugar in the food processor until combined.
2. Add butter and shortening (1/4 inch 'clumps') and process until it starts to collect in uneven clumps, about 15 seconds {dough will resemble cottage cheese curds}.
3. Scrape bowl, add remaining 1 cup flour and pulse until combined.
4. Empty mixture into a medium bowl.
5. Sprinkle dough with vodka and water.
6. Using a rubber spatula mix, until dough is slightly tacky and sticks together.
7. Divide into two even balls, flatten into 4 inch disk.
8. Wrap each piece in plastic wrap.
9. Refrigerate for at least 45 minutes or up to 2 days before using {or freeze at this point}.
10. Roll out, form into crust and use crust as directed in your pie recipe.
11. Enjoy!

* You could use this crust recipe for a savory recipe too!  Maybe chicken pot pie or a breakfast quiche! :D

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...