Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Homemade Watercolor Paints

I found this recipe for making your own watercolors at the: Lilac Silhouette Blog
I had to make two sets so that the kids didn't have to share/fight over the colors.

Ingredients:
6 tbsp baking soda
6 tbsp cornstarch
6 tbsp white vinegar
3 tsp corn syrup
A container for each color you plan to make (I used single serving empty clean applesauce containers)
Food coloring

Process:

1. Combine the baking soda, cornstarch, vinegar and corn syrup, allow the fizzing to subside, then mix thoroughly.
2. Pour the mixture into your containers of choice.
3. Quickly mix in the food coloring to create the colors you want.  The mixture may begin to solidify pretty quickly.
     Red: use red food coloring
     Orange: use equal amounts of red and yellow
     Yellow: use yellow food coloring
     Green: use equal amounts of yellow and blue
     Blue: use blue food coloring
     Purple/Violet: use equal amounts of red and blue
4. Allow paints to sit and "dry" for about 3 hours.  (Mine never really dried completely, I just let the kids use them the day after I made them.  After they used them they dried.)
5. Everyone enjoy!
Big Mr. J painting with his Homemade Watercolors! 
Little Miss J enjoying her Homemade Watercolors!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...