Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Pumpkin Granola

This granola is awesome and very easy to make!  I love it with Greek yogurt or just on its own as a snack!  
I found the original recipe from Running to the Kitchen; I substituted oatmeal for the pepitas {pumpkin seeds} and used an extra 1/2 cup walnuts in place of 1/2 cup the pecans.  Enjoy!
Ingredients:
-3/4 cup sliced or slivered almonds
-1/2 cup oatmeal {I used old fashioned, its less processed}
-1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
-1/2 cup shredded or flaked coconut
-2 tbsp chia seeds {optional, if you don't have them you can leave them out}
-3 large dried dates, chopped  {about 2-3 tbsp chopped dried dates or you could use raisins or maybe even dried cranberries}
-1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
-1 tsp cinnamon
-1/4 tsp ground cloves
-pinch of salt
-3 tbsp melted coconut oil {you could probably substitute butter or even peanut or other nut butter, although it may change the flavor}
-2 tbsp applesauce {you could add an extra 2 tbsp pumpkin puree as a substitute}
-1/2 cup pumpkin puree
-1/4 cup maple syrup {or honey}
-1 tsp vanilla
Process:
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.  Line a baking sheet with parchment, foil or my favorite... a silpat.
2. In a large bowl combine all dry ingredients and mix well.
3. In a small bowl, combine all wet ingredients.  Mix well.
4. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir until thoroughly combined.
5. Pour mixture onto the prepared baking sheet and spread into an even layer.
6. Bake for 40 minutes, stir occasionally.
7. Remove from oven and allow to cool completely, about 20-30 minutes.
8. Transfer and store in an airtight container.
Enjoy!  

As I said, I love this with Greek yogurt!  I also like to add some fresh pumpkin butter and/or honey for an extra treat.
I'm sure it would also be great over ice cream.  But it really is awesome by itself!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...