Thursday, December 5, 2013

Green Pea "Guacamole"

This recipe was a great find a long time ago, I don't know where I found it; but its nice to be able to make "guacamole" without having avocados in the house!

My husband and kids {even my anti-veggie, Little Miss J} love this and have no idea that its not made with avocados!

Ingredients:
-1/3  medium red or yellow onion {about 1/3 cup}, finely chopped
-4 tbsp olive oil {you could substitute canola or other veg. oil}
-juice of 1 lime, about 4 tbsp {I usually use lemon, because I usually have them in the house; you could also use the jarred stuff}
-1/2 to 1 tsp chipotles in adobo sauce or 1 small jalapeno or 1/4 to 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper or chili powder
-10 oz. {about 1 1/2 cup} frozen peas {no need to thaw}
-1 tsp ground cumin
-1 tsp salt
-1/2 tsp pepper
-1 tsp garlic powder
-1/3 to 1/2 cup sour cream or greek yogurt
-1/2 bunch cilantro or parsley, optional {I don't usually use}

Process:
1. Chop onion in the food processor.
2. Add all other ingredients to the food processor {you could set aside the onion if you wanted to keep small chunks of onion in the dip}.
3. Process until the "guacamole" reaches your desired consistency.
4. Transfer "guacamole" to a serving dish or another dish for storing in the refrigerator.
* I usually try to make this at least a couple hours before serving; so the flavors can mix and the peas can thaw some.  Its also a good idea to let it sit at room temp for about 1/2 hour before serving so that the "guac" isn't soo cold.

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...