Friday, February 1, 2013

Save Pepper Seeds for Planting

I got this idea from my youngest sister; last year she just took the seeds from her peppers and sprinkled them over an area of her garden and ended up with more peppers than she could have imagined (she also did this with jalapenos, so try whatever peppers you have).

Now, I haven't tried this in the past; but if you buy the seed packets for growing your own peppers from seed, the seeds look just like this.

How to do it:
1. After you cut up peppers you have bought from the store, save the center seeds.  
2. Place the middle part of the pepper on a paper towel in a bowl or box (do not cover, you don't want them to mold), let the seeds dry.
3. Next, use your finger to gently flake the seeds off of the center part of the pepper. 
4. Allow the seeds to dry a couple more days, then store in a paper envelope in a cool dry place.
*As of now I don't plan on buying any pepper plants; I have high hopes that I will be able to get several plants from these seeds I have harvested.  Its totally worth a try, right!*

I'll keep you posted and let you know what kind of success I have.  I'll probably start planting seeds in the next month or so.

If give this a try or have done it in the past, please share!  I'd love to hear your stories!

Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...