Friday, November 9, 2012

Cranberry Chutney

This is REALLY tasty, I'm looking forward to serving it with the early Thanksgiving meal I'm making this weekend!  I think its going to be fantastic with the roasted turkey and the leftover turkey sandwiches!  

I also think it would be great with ham, pork chops or pork roast!  Enjoy!

This recipe makes a little less than 4 pints {16 ounce jars}.

I found the original recipe from Alaska From Scratch.

You can make this and refrigerate it until using or can it to use later; I refrigerated half for this weekend and canned half for my other Thanksgiving later this month.

Ingredients:
-4 cups (12oz.) fresh cranberries {I'm sure you could use frozen too}
-2 1/2 cups sugar
-1 1/4 cups water
-6 whole cloves
-2 cinnamon sticks {about 4 inches each}
-1 tsp salt
-2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and diced
-2 firm Bosc or Anjou pears, peeled, cored and diced
-1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
-1 cup golden raisins
-1/3 cup crystallized ginger, finely chopped {I used about 1/4 cup because I know not everyone likes ginger}
-1/2 cup hazelnuts, roughly chopped {I omitted the hazelnuts, I know the kids wouldn't like them}

Process:
1. Add rinsed cranberries to a large pot.
2. Add sugar to cranberries.
3. Add whole cloves.
4. Add cinnamon sticks.
5. Add salt.
6. Add water.
7. Stir and bring to a boil over medium heat.
8. Stir frequently for about 10 minutes until cranberries begin to pop.
9. Turn down heat to a simmer and stir in apples, pears, onion, raisins and ginger.
10. Continue cooking over low heat, stirring often for another 10-15 minutes.
11. Remove from heat.
12. Discard cinnamon sticks and cloves {if you can find them, I could only find 3 of the cloves}.
13. Stir in hazelnuts; pour into desired airtight container and refrigerate until using.
OR 
Pour chutney into hot jars to can.
-Process in a hot water bath for 15 minutes with the lid on canner.
-Turn off heat, remove lid and let jars sit in canner for 5 minutes.
-Remove jars from canner onto a wire rack.
14. Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...