Saturday, October 13, 2012

Beef & Barley Crockpot Soup

This was really good!  I combined four different recipes to come up with this one.

Ingredients:
-1 beef steak (or small beef roast)
-6 cups water
-2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (could use a small can of crushed or diced tomatoes)
-1 onion, chopped
-1 bay leaf
-1 tbsp sugar
-1 pkg vegetable soup mix (without noodles) 
-1 tbsp dried parsley
-1 tsp garlic powder
-1/4 tsp ground pepper
-1/2 tsp salt
-3/4 cup barley
*You could also stir in some other vegetables: frozen mixed vegetables, fresh carrots or celery sliced.

Process:
1. Sear steak on both sides until nicely browned.
2. Remove steak from pan to a cutting board and allow to cool slightly.
3. Pour water into crock-pot and turn crock-pot on low.
 4. Add tomatoes to water.

 5. Add onion to crock-pot.
 6. Add sugar, bay leaf, garlic powder, parsley, salt and pepper to tomato and onion mixture.
 7. Add packet of vegetable soup mix.
This is the one I used.
8. Stir to combine.
 9. Remove fat from steak and thinly slice steak across the grain.
 10. Stir sliced steak into  crock-pot mixture.
11. Stir barley into soup.
12. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.
13. Enjoy!
Print Friendly and PDF

1 comment:

  1. Awesome soup! My son ate most of it before I even had a bite!

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing what you have to say; let me know what you think. I look forward to comments and will reply to your comments or questions! Thanks for checking out my blog; come back to visit soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...