This was really good! I combined four different recipes to come up with this one.
-1 beef steak (or small beef roast)
-6 cups water
-2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes (could use a small can of crushed or diced tomatoes)
-1 onion, chopped
-1 bay leaf
-1 tbsp sugar
-1 pkg vegetable soup mix (without noodles)
-1 tbsp dried parsley
-1 tsp garlic powder
-1/4 tsp ground pepper
-1/2 tsp salt
-3/4 cup barley
*You could also stir in some other vegetables: frozen mixed vegetables, fresh carrots or celery sliced.
1. Sear steak on both sides until nicely browned.
2. Remove steak from pan to a cutting board and allow to cool slightly.
3. Pour water into crock-pot and turn crock-pot on low.4. Add tomatoes to water.
5. Add onion to crock-pot.
6. Add sugar, bay leaf, garlic powder, parsley, salt and pepper to tomato and onion mixture.
7. Add packet of vegetable soup mix.
|This is the one I used.|
9. Remove fat from steak and thinly slice steak across the grain.
10. Stir sliced steak into crock-pot mixture.
11. Stir barley into soup.
12. Cover and cook on low for 4 to 5 hours.